Monday, May 24, 2010

Better than Ice Cream: Part 1


When I was in high school I loved Sarah McLaughlin. Her music was what I listened to at night before I fell asleep, in the morning as I got dressed, and when I came home from school to my periwinkle bedroom. There is this one song that goes..."Your love, is better than ice cream. Better than anything else that I've tried". I remember hearing those words, and as a love sick teenager all I wanted was for some boy to sweep me off my feet and give me love that was better than ice cream.

Nearly 10 years later life is different. I've been swept off my feet, literally and figuratively. I've fallen in love, twice. Moved to different parts of the country, three times. Traveled the world, four times. And of course, have continued to return home to that same periwinkle bedroom as my bedrock of comfort. One thing that has been missing though is that song. Not since I graduated have I put that tune into my CD player purposefully. Who knows why, just moved on from it I guess.

One of my best friends from high school came to visit in Nashville this weekend. We've stayed close but never has she been to visit me in a life beyond that periwinkle bedroom. It was amazing to see her, bask in the love I have for her, and truly savor the friendship that we built when we were 14 years old. Perhaps it is a coincidence but when I dropped her off at the airport I fished around in my CD case for some new tunes to drive away with. Turns out I chose a mix I made at the end of my senior year in high school. You'll never guess what the last song of that mix was...yep, Ice Cream.

Now I know what Miss McLaughlin was talking about...friendship. I have the most spectacular group of people called friends in my life. They bring me a kind of joy that I cannot begin to express. One of them I met when I was two, another one I met just 8 months ago...but they all make up this quilt that is the life I live. I could not, nor would not, have it without them.

This concludes Part 1 of three (or maybe more) series about this fabric of people in my life. In the next couple of weeks I will visit many of them (hooray for summer!). Nashville to Portland, New York to Pittsburgh. Get ready to be absorbed in them, because they all deserve to be honored for being SO much better than ice cream.



3 comments:

  1. it gave me warm fuzzies all over. Love you...and your love that is WAY better than ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. merow. love you. beautiful writings my dear one. wish i could see you soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that song and just pulled it up on YouTube to remember. Listening this time after reading your post it reminds me of UNH and BNG. Miss you lots and can't wait to see you this fall!

    ReplyDelete